Quantcast

"update --dry-run" equivalent output from yum or yum-utils?

"update --dry-run" equivalent output from yum or yum-utils?

jimjcollins
Hello,

Does yum or yum utils (repoquery likely) give the ability to non-interactively and easily (single command or short sequence of commands) generate a list of available update packages plus any new dependent packages which would be required to to successfully install those update packages on a server? "yum list updates" or "repoquery -a --pkgnarrow=updates" don't appear to do the dependency analysis and from other threads it seems that using "yum list updates" non-interactively is frowned on (screen scraping thread, etc.). And "yum updates" can't properly be used non-interactively as there appears to be no "defaultno" option to answering the install question even if I wanted to screen scrape, etc.

I read this yum list thread which indicates need for "yum list updates --with-dependencies", but I can't see that such functionality has been implemented in either yum 2.x or 3.x:

Perhaps such functionality is in repoquery but I missed it?

I currently use "up2date --dry-run" for patch auditing on RHEL3 and RHEL4 servers so I can view ahead of patch time exactly what packages are required in order to bring a server  up to date relative to a set of yum repositories. RedHat maintains an "up2date to yum" Rosetta stone of sorts at http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_80_11223.shtm but there is no indication of a yum equivalent of "update --dry-run" on that page.

Thanks for any advice.

- Jim C.

Re: "update --dry-run" equivalent output from yum or yum-utils?

Troy Dawson
I believe the command you are looking for is

   yum check-update

Troy

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does yum or yum utils (repoquery likely) give the ability to
> non-interactively and easily (single command or short sequence of
> commands) generate a list of available update packages plus any new
> dependent packages which would be required to to successfully install
> those update packages on a server? "yum list updates" or "repoquery -a
> --pkgnarrow=updates" don't appear to do the dependency analysis and from
> other threads it seems that using "yum list updates" non-interactively
> is frowned on (screen scraping thread, etc.). And "yum updates" can't
> properly be used non-interactively as there appears to be no "defaultno"
> option to answering the install question even if I wanted to screen
> scrape, etc.
>
> I read this yum list thread which indicates need for "yum list updates
> --with-dependencies", but I can't see that such functionality has been
> implemented in either yum 2.x or 3.x:
>
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-August/004974.html
>
> Perhaps such functionality is in repoquery but I missed it?
>
> I currently use "up2date --dry-run" for patch auditing on RHEL3 and
> RHEL4 servers so I can view ahead of patch time exactly what packages
> are required in order to bring a server  up to date relative to a set of
> yum repositories. RedHat maintains an "up2date to yum" Rosetta stone of
> sorts at http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_80_11223.shtm but there is no
> indication of a yum equivalent of "update --dry-run" on that page.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> - Jim C.

Re: "update --dry-run" equivalent output from yum or yum-utils?

jimjcollins

I don't think "check-update" does the dependency resolution to determine if any additional, potentially uninstalled,  packages need to be pulled in to satisfactorily install the listed update packages.

Or perhaps "check-update" does the dependency resolution but is not announcing that behavoir in its output as is done for the "yum update" command?

The yum man page makes no mention of "check-update" doing the dependency resolution, seems to be indicating that only the list of update packages will be output.

- Jim Collins
From: Troy Dawson <[hidden email]>

> I believe the command you are looking for is
>
> yum check-update
>
> Troy
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does yum or yum utils (repoquery likely) give the ability to
> > non-interactively and easily (single command or short sequence of
<SNIP>

Re: "update --dry-run" equivalent output from yum or yum-utils?

seth vidal-3

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 15:51 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:

> I don't think "check-update" does the dependency resolution to
> determine if any additional, potentially uninstalled,  packages need
> to be pulled in to satisfactorily install the listed update packages.
>
> Or perhaps "check-update" does the dependency resolution but is not
> announcing that behavoir in its output as is done for the "yum update"
> command?
>
> The yum man page makes no mention of "check-update" doing the
> dependency resolution, seems to be indicating that only the list of
> update packages will be output.

in yum.conf

you can add

tsflags=test

which will do everything except the rpm transaction will be run with
--test

-sv

From: seth vidal <[hidden email]>

> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 15:51 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > I don't think "check-update" does the dependency resolution to
> > determine if any additional, potentially uninstalled, packages need
> > to be pulled in to satisfactorily install the listed update packages.
> >
> > Or perhaps "check-update" does the dependency resolution but is not
> > announcing that behavoir in its output as is done for the "yum update"
> > command?
> >
> > The yum man page makes no mention of "check-update" doing the
> > dependency resolution, seems to be indicating that only the list of
> > update packages will be output.
> >

> in yum.conf
>
> you can add
>
> tsflags=test
> < BR>> which will do everything except the rpm transaction will be run with
> --test
>
> -sv

You are indicating to run "yum update" with yum "assume-yes" option and since "--test" will be passed to rpm command, no installation occurs? That's an interesting idea.

However, that's not equivalent to "up2date --dry-run" in a key way as it implies the full rpm package is downloaded to the audited server versus just package header info as occurs during "up2date --dry-run". The time/bandwidth to download the tens of packages to the 1000's of servers under management makes that an extremely expensive step merely to audit what update packages are applicable. Ultimately, many of the audited servers would only get a small subset (critical security and bug fixes) of those packages applied so there is no reason for the entire set of update packages to be downloaded to every server being audited.

- Jim C.